Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 4

10:25pm

Ok ok. So right at this moment Phish is playing up at Jones Beach. I think. And I just finished downloading and converting their show at the same venue from two nights ago... 6/2/09. The setlists is as follows:
Set 1
Runaway Jim
Foam
Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan
Timber
Cities
Driver
Reba
Possum
Farmhouse
If I Could
Set 2
Mike's Song
Simple
Wolfman's Brother
Weekapaug Groove
When the Circus Comes to Town
Kill Devil Falls
Harry Hood
Loving Cup
Suzie Greenburg
Now I was talking with Terrance the other night around a fire, contemplating the songs that we'd love to hear the band play and I mentioned that it would be sweet if they came out and played Runaway Jim... and lo! Here they are, four nights after I spoke it, opening with one of my most beloved songs. It's playing right now... sounding hot. I'm getting stoked for this summer.

My buddy wants me to go to Starscape on Saturday. There's going to be a wicked collection of musicians there, the Disco Biscuits being one of them, who we both saw at Ram's Head a few months ago and had our faces stolen right off our heads with the crazy instrumental jams they ripped out of the void. I don't know if I can pull it off this weekend, but it's definitely on my things to do list.

Again, I wrote plenty in my hard copy daybook today with my classes. The topic today was Belief... and I gave them a series of questions they can choose to answer ranging from a time they felt isolated b/c of their beliefs to a time they realized they didn't believe in something they grew up learning. As I drove home today I realized that I like the structure that I have at the end of this year... (ooh, Foam's starting, and it's clinky and funky and bouncing all at the same time, like foam)... where I put students into islands of four or three. This has given me the opportunity to sit with a different group everyday and write with them and then share with them. Me sharing isn't what I'm interested in or what I find valuable but being able to listen to their stories and reflections in a closer environment compared to standing in the front and controlling an entire room of students. They're willing to share more in smaller groups... I already knew that... but I forgot what it's like to be a part of that "more" and today it redawned on me. I think I'll start next year off with that structure.

1 comment:

  1. Like the island concept; always have. I'll daybook today about Beliefs too.....Thanks for that. :)

    ReplyDelete