Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 7

12:06pm

I started my day grading papers at 8:30am, watching the second season of Lost. But at some point I decided to listen to the second set of Tuesday night's Phish show at Jones Beach, which I hadn't gotten to appreciate yet. And let me tell you, half way through the second song, Simple, I decided to purchase, download, and convert 6/4 and 6/6... it's just that good.
6/4
Set 1
Grind
Divided Sky
Ocelot
The Squirming Coil
Punch You In the Eye
Dirt
NICU
Ghost
Run Like an Antelope
Set 2
Water In the Sky
Birds Of a Feather
Drowned
Jones Beach Jam
Meatstick
Time Turns Elastic
Waste
You Enjoy Myself
Rock and Roll

This is what I'm listening to as I write this... and so at the end of 6/4, from Harry Hood to Loving Cup, I just had to step outside to breathe in the sunshine because there's nothing else to do about it. And what I saw outside could've been used for Planet Earth. In a bush by the parking lot birds were causing such a cacophony of noise that it sounded like they were ripping each other's feathers off in torture. One popped out and hopped around. I thought it was wounded. Gray feathers with white tips, it bounced about as the other bird in the bush continued its tormenting cries. The one outside hopped back into the battle. The war cry continued louder. Minutes later a squirrel launched out from midbush with two birds chasing it. I don't know if there was anything in the mouth of the squirrel but it hopped through the grass no higher than my lower shin and the two birds flew that low to the ground biting at the squirrel in pursuit. They all chased around the corner of my apartment to where my imagination could only go. Then, a few minutes later one of the birds came back and posted in a tree near the bush as a sentry of sorts. Two young boys walked the street, and the sun kept shining. The whole occurence took maybe seven minutes, but wow... what commotion. And so Divided Sky is ripping through my speaker and I'm dying that I'm not driving to Camden right now to see these guys, but instead have to settle to imagine what it was like to see them Thursday night and later tonight, grading papers in my small apartment, feeling the strong desire to drop my life now and hit the road. It's sunny outside, and Phish is in Philadelphia right now, as are a few of my friends. They are the lucky ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment