Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 6

10:19pm

Friday's are going to be tough... I missed my writing that day. Didn't do any with my class because they were doing the blindfold experiment. Things got clerically busy during my planning period and Cyril visited after school. From there I met some friends after school and the night took me right through to the end. I wasn't busy. Life just kept happening. It was good life though. No regrets on hand. At the end of the night I listened to my mom's voice mail that she received the card from my classroom. I ended up mailing her a similar card I gave my brother for her birthday. She said that she didn't know to laugh or cry with it, which made me laugh. I'm glad she and my brother can take something away from my day-to-day life. Today I received a postcard from Chris and Ariane. A save the date postcard for their wedding in France on May 28th, 2010. Talked to my mom about it... time to save the pennies. I wonder if I can save 3000 dollars in 12 months. There's a challenge to you. The postcard is of a castle of sorts at dusk with daylight fading in the background and the castle lights shining medieval in the growing shadows. I assume it's where they'll get married. Certainly something that I'll have to go to so saving money is a necessity beyond the usual.

Vomit:
Gchnk. Gchnk. Gchnk.
"Damn car," Gabe said. He sat in the driver's seat of his '00 Nissan. The car lights glowing in the June night like a lightning bug on constant. Gabe puffed his frustration through his nose. "Goddam car."
Gchnk. Gchnk. Gchnk.
Nothing.
He opened the car door and stepped out. For a second he thought himself lucky for managing to pull the car over to the side of the bridge before it totally died, but the thought flashed quickly and died. He kicked the door closed and walked behind the car to open the trunk. "Couldn't fill up the tank, could you?" he asked the empty bridge. "Goddam bitch," he muttered, fumbling with the keys and finally opening the trunk littered with boxes and books and dirty laundry. From it he pulled an empty plastic container that once held windshield fluid. He slammed the trunk closed as a car zoomed by, the hot air of the night gusting at his back. Of course the ass doesn't stop he thought. Gonna have to hike it now. Couldn't have filled the goddam gas tank!
He knew there was a gas station around the corner and up the road and walked in that direction. Before he even passed his car though, he stopped.
"Goddam, son of bitch!" Gabe exclaimed, patted his pockets and then pulled out his wallet. In deliberate, overemphasized motions he slapped his wallet closed and shoved it back into his jeans back pocket. Looking up and down the street, Gabe didn't see anyone and turned to keep walking toward the gas station.
The sounds of distant cars and birds in the trees that lined the street were the only sounds of the night. A flutter of children's laughter came with the hot breeze, but no one was out walking the street Gabe found himself. Crossing one street though, he saw a woman walking her golden lab. "Excuse me," he called, "ma'am. Excuse me." He noticed how she pulled the dog's leash closer to her when she turned in the direction of his call. Getting closer he raised the empty plastic container, "Excuse me, but can I trouble you for some change. Anything will do. I ran out of gas just at the bridge down the street and I don't have any money." Even before he finished asking the woman was shaking her head no. "I'm sorry," she said. "I'm just out walking my dog." The dog had stopped sniffing the street sign and looked up at Gabe. It looked then at its owner and moved closer to her.
"Thanks anyway," Gabe said, not wanting to worry her or her animal any further. He turned back into the direction of the gas station.

No comments:

Post a Comment